The ST1000LM035 is a 7mm model for laptop machines. The disk is available in 1TB and 2TB capacities and the ST1000LM035-1RK172 model is reviewed.
- Spindle speed 5400 RPM
- Seagate’s highest capacity thin, 7mm, laptop drives at 1TB and 2TB
- Light in weight to support portable computers
- Enables drop-in 2TB capacity transition without the weight of traditional laptop drives
- Stores up to 200,000 photos, 250,000 songs or 124 hours of high-definition video
- Standard SATA III 6 gigabit per second interface for easy integration into existing mobile/laptop designs
- 128MB cache
- 4K sector format with 512 byte emulation
This hard disk is well suited for traditional SATA class laptops which need additional storage for for replacing a failed disk. Seagate also has a 2TB version of this disk for those who need more storage.
The ST1000LM035 is also used in USB cases for backup purposes which makes it popular for those with SSD drives in their laptop machines.
We actually removed this disk from a USB case for use in our old Lenovo T500 which had a small 160GB disks which limited the options for development tools which tend to be rather large. Bare disks are hard to find so we have adopted the same strategy that Backblaze does with removing disks from USB cases.
The 4K format emulates the 512 byte format for those who are not using Windows 10, The performance is not bad when there is lots of RAM in a machine to minimize disk activity, The T500 with 4GB of memory handles this 1TB disk effortlessly. Seagate emulates the legacy 512 byte format for those who use WIndows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
This disk has self encrypting capability however we use Lenovo machines which have a TPM chip making Bitlocker easy to use securing the machines.