Windows 10 build 17758.1 is a release candidate as Microsoft works towards release to manufacturing. General availability is now likely on update Tuesday in October.
Storage Sense has been updated which is one of the new features. It works by freeing up space on machines by moving some items to the cloud.
Storage Sense is a bit like OneDrive with its on demand download. What is different is that Storage Sense is able to use microSD cards and secondary disks etc.
Some older Lenovo machines like our T400 and T500 can have the optical disk removed and a second drive installed. Our T500 has a SD card slot which can be used as well.
Starting with Windows 10, Storage Sense has embarked on a path to keep your storage optimized. We’re making continuous improvements in every update. In the next Windows 10 feature update (build 17720 and later), we’re adding a new capability and making a few changes to Storage Sense’s behavior.
- Fixed an issue resulting in the back button in Settings and other apps becoming white text on a white background if you hovered over it.
- A Bug resulting in Narrator not reading selected word choices when typing using an IME (for example, in Japanese) has been fixed this build.
- Also fixed an issue resulting in certain apps crashing when you tried to save a file from the app.
- Fixed an issue resulting in explorer.exe crashing recently when clicking on the “Import photos and videos” option from an autoplay notification.
- We fixed an issue resulting in nearby sharing not working for local accounts where the account name contained certain Chinese, Japanese, or Korean characters.
- [UPDATED] We fixed several bugs causing text clipping issues when you use “Make text bigger” setting in Ease of Access.
Storage Sense would be more helpful of it could leverage home NAS devices which offer much more storage compared to the typical SSD seen in most machines.
Now that 14TB hard disks are available the NAS box can finally reach the PB in a single rack. Placing a server rack in the basement in a secure room keeps the kids from damaging it. The the the whole family can use the storage to backup phones, laptops and desktops alike.
DISK CLEANUP DEPRECATION
The Disk Cleanup experience (“cleanmgr.exe”) is being deprecated. We’re retaining the Disk Cleanup tool for compatibility reasons. There’s no need to worry since Storage Sense’s functionality is a superset of what the legacy Disk Cleanup provides!
Immediately disk cleanup is handy to get rid of all the baggage of updates from the weekly builds seen with the fast ring for beta testing.